Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Stranger by Albert Camus

This is one of the most fast-paced books I have read in a long time. Within 120 pages, i jump into the life of Meursault, a troubled young man. He is seems to be very nonchalant even when facing serious situations. From the start of the novel, he faces his mother's death, although he doesn't shed one tear. Later on in the novel he impulsively kills a man that he barley knows. He is a very interesting character and actual reminds me a bit of Holden Caulfeild form Catcher in the Rye. They both act on instinct and do not think of consequences later. nevertheless, I am interested in finding out why Meursault acts the way he does. Why does he barley give a fight in the courtroom that determines his fate? Why does he not even bother to assist his his legal advisers in fighting his innocence? Does this relate to the reason why he doesn't believe in God (which is highly emphasized in the book)? I can't wait to finish up the last few chapters of the book because it is very thought provoking and I am actually entertained by Meursault's character and surprised by the many choices he is making in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment