I have finally finished up the last few chapters of Stranger and I actually am left a bit perplexed. Of course, I am surprised that by the end of the book Meursault stops bothering to question his future/execution. But I am also very refreshed by his character. In a lot of books I read, the ending seems to be dragged out, however Meursault takes life for what it is without pondering why every minute detail occurred the way it did in his life. Sure, he was shocked by his death penalty sentence and even panic a little. At first, he says, "All I care about right now is escaping the machinery of justice"(108). However, later on in the chapter, he realizes that he may actually be facing his death in the near future and he excepts it. He doesn't try to look to a source of inspiration or courage (he is atheist and refuses to looks to God's help) or desperately try to repent for "sinning". The very last sentence in the book interests me yet also leaves me baffled, "I only had one wish that there be large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate"(123). He has a very interesting point of view and is definitely a confused young man. How is he able to accept his horrible fate? It also seems like he is against himself and wants people to look down on him. This book has left me in a state of consternation.
This week i have also started The Kite Runner. I'm finding it interesting so far I have learned many subjects from the book in my Global class. It is fascinating to see how the history I learn in class actually comes to life and impacts the characters in the book. In the beginning, the main character, Amir, talks about an account in his childhood he claims that it "made me what I am today"(2). I am excited to learn more about this event and how it effected him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment