I wasn't able to read as much this week but I am almost done and hopefully I'll finish by next week. The book, surprisingly, is getting a bit boring and the storyline is slowing down. But, i am still very interested about all the details of the lives of her friends and family on Earth. Many of the scenes are very depressing. Susie's mom has taken her affair farther with Len Fenerman farther and has completely deserted her hope and commitment to her family. one of my favorite quotes which sparked a lot of emotions for me was, "Mr. Harvey left his house for the final time while my mother was granted her most temporal wish. To find a doorway out of her ruined heart, in merciful adultery" (197). it really is disgraceful how the police officers fail to recognize Mr. Harvey's guilt and how preoccupied Susie's mother is with fulfilling (only momentarily) her broken heart. As Susie witnesses this scene, she actually doesn't seem to be too let down by her mothers betrayal, which surprises me. at the exact time time as this scene, Mr. Harvey disappears from town, possible forever. Its amazing how an eighth grader has the maturity to let go of the past of her murder and gracefully understand the current needs of her family members.
Later on in the book, on the one year anniversary of her death, fellow students, neighbors and even teachers gather together on the cornfeild as a meorial for Susie. Susie is very suprised by the outcome of poeple and also very appreciative. This reminds me of Holden Caulfield, a chracter from Catcher in the Rye written by J.D. Salinger. He would always fantasize about his death and he once wondered who would come to is funeral. If this memorial was for Holden and if he was looking down from heaven, I think he would take it the exact oppisite way from the way Susie did. He would probably describe the people remorsing his death as phonies because they hardley knew him so therfore they couldnt be so upset about his death. Since I was reading this book last night and I finished reading The Lovely Bones just now, I have really noticed the difference between the characters.
I'm looking foward to the rest of the book and my friends tell me it is going to get even better so I cant wait to see what happens!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment