Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Loveley Bones-middle

I'm about half way through this book and I am really enjoying it. One of the main issues in the book, which has just been introduced, is that Susie's father is looking for her killer independently of the police /investigating agents. He becomes more involved and even obsessed in proving that Mr. Harvey (Susie's real killer) is the murderer. But, many of the characters believe that he is crazed or just finding his neighbor to be the scapegoat and they claim there is no evidence confirming him as a suspect. This is one of the parts that gets me to the point where I am even annoyed at the characters. In some ways I think that the investigators or ignorant for missing the criminal when he is right under their noses. However, on the other hand, I can understand that they just think the father is going bit crazy because he just lost his daughter. I can understand from both sides why the characters may or may not find it plausible to call the Salmon Family's neighbor a criminal.
As the book progresses, I can see how the murder of Susie is causing a break down of her family members. First, as her mother is finding it very hard to cope with pain from the death and stress from her complicated life, she turns to the investigator for help, mentally and sexually. This represents a turning point because I think it symbolizes turning her back on her daughter and failing to solve the mystery. Her mother gives in when to her weak will power and she kisses the investigator, Len. While her husband vigorously and pasionatly works to make justice and find closure to their daughters death, she doesn't support him and she kisses the investigator, who has given up and closed the case.
However, even though her father is trying to continue her memory, he is also re cooperating from the loss. From heaven, Susie can see the special treatment he receives from his co-workers and even his boss and her father notices it, too. Although I have never experienced a great loss like this, I know friends that have lost a sibling or parent and I can sometimes see the special treatment they receive. I have never thought that those people would realize it, but do they notice how people act completely differently towards them. In the novel, Susie's family will always be associated with her murder and will always receive a different treatment from all the people they meet because of the labeled tragedy that is attached to their name.

No comments:

Post a Comment