Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I Just started reading this book and I am totally LOVING it! I think the plot is one the most intriguing parts to me. I mean, how many times do you read a book where the narrator is in heaven describing her own murder? I was actually a bit hesitant at first about reading this book because the person that requested it said that apart from the odd plot, some parts of the book could be a bit eerie, too. But, so far I am really happy I picked up the book. Most of all, I am enjoying the narrative voice in this novel because the fourteen year old girl telling the story gives the story a relaxed tone. Also, since I am also a fourteen year old girl, it is interesting and relatable to get inside the head of a girl my age. This book can actually be a bit frustrating to read because although Susie Salmon (the girl who was murdered) knows her killer and she is telling the story of her family and friends on Earth, who are trying to figure out the mystery. In this way, I am actually reminded a bit of The Memory Keeper's Daughter because in that book too, I read about a women who had no idea that she had a child who was alive and leading a completely different life. I guess this dramatic irony can get annoying, but it also contributes to how good the book is in the end when all the characters find out the great mystery. I'm really looking froward to the book unwinding!

No comments:

Post a Comment