Thursday, April 8, 2010

Reading Twilight (again) Over Break

Usually I don't like to read books more than twice because it seems boring, but Twilight was a total exception to that. This book is a interesting, fun, and easy read, so it was perfect to read on a school vacation.

Since I already knew the plot, I tried to search deeper than just the storyline and find big ideas and themes of the book. After reading about half of the novel, I realized that it is EXACTLY like Rome and Juliet! Both are about forbidden love, secrets and infatuation. In my opinion, Romeo and Juliet did not truly love each other and were just foolish teenagers who believed that they were meant to be with each other. Yet, unlike most of Twilight fanatics, I also think that Edward and Bella's relationship is just an infatuation and not true love. I am not doubting the fact that they have feelings for each other, but if Bella truly was devoted to Edward, why would she also have feelings for Jacob? After finishing the first book of this saga, I am very disagreeable with Bella's character because she is merely infatuated by being involved with a vampire; she is not in love though. She is swayed by temptations and it is impossible for her to completely have dedication to just one guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment