Thursday, January 28, 2010

START OF Q3- Middle of Sarah's Key

I'm totally enjoying this book, although there are many solemn parts of the novel. It's pretty heartbreaking to hear about the details of the concentration camps. Yet there is a twist in this book that none of the other books I have read about the holocaust have had. The novel continues to switch off between the story of a girl living during WWII and the life of a reporter living in France in 2002. The story line is finally beginning to unfold. Juliet (The reporter who is living in present day France) is searching deeper to learn more about the Vel d'Hiv, the roundup of Jews living in Paris in 1949. When talking to her husband's grandmother, she learns that her husband's grandparents had moved into the apartment of a Jewish family that was arrested during the roundup. Very perturbed by the fact, she is determined to find who had occupied the apartment before her husband's family had moved in. I am very interested to see if she finds the record of the family who was previously living in the apartment. I have a prediction that the other part of the novel concerning the Jewish girl will intertwine with the present day story. I have a feeling that the girl used to live in the same apartment before they had to evacuate, and the grandparents of Juliet's husband moved in afterward. I'm very interested to see if this inference is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment