Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Okay, so I bet that you're wondering: What is with the long title of this book?! I know that I thought the title sounded silly when my mom suggested the book to me, but I really love the book and I'm so happy that I picked it up. The novel is a collection of letters written after the end of World War Two between author Juliet Ashton and her publisher and her best friend. She describes her life post-war, and her search for an idea for a new project. She receives a letter from a man named Dawsey Adams, who is lives in Guernsey an island in the English Channel. Dawsey writes to her because he has a book written by Charles Lamb, that was once Juliet's, and he asks if she has any more information about this author. After a few exchanges, Juliet learns that Dawsey is in the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.

This is such a charming book because even though it is during a time when people are recovering from loss and war, the main character has a really upbeat, lighthearted and witty sense of humor that comes across in her writing. I like that the book is written in letters because the writing is informal and I get a good feel of who the characters really are. At the same time, I am actually learning a lot of history from reading this book! I never heard of Guernsey or knew that it existed, let alone that it was occupied by Germany during the war. I've learned how the war impacted everybody,yet by reading the exchange of letters between Juliet and Dawsey, I'm touched by how much kindness there really is during the time of war, too. I am approaching the end of the novel and excited to see how it ends! My goal is to finish it by the next time I blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment