Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Sublte Knife: end

It has been a few weeks since I last blogged about this book and I have just finished it. I was very interested by many of the topics mentioned in the book. But, I must say that it was a bit hard for me to understand what was going on at some times since this is the second book in "His Dark Materials" collection and I didn't read the first book in the series. Also, I have not read a fantasy book on my own involving other magical realms in a while. This was actually one of the main reasons I picked up the book. Usually when we read fantasy in class (like the epic poem, The Inferno), we analyze many of the events that occur. As I read this book on my own, I tried to visualize it to help my understanding. Now that I am finished with it, I am extremely happy I read this book not only because it was a genre that I'm a bit uncomfortable with, but because it helped expand my creativity and out-of-the-box imagination.
There was a lot of abstract thinking, such as imagining the doorways between Ci’gazze and other universes. But, I was also interested in topics that relate to real life. Part of the plot in this novel is that a girl named Lina ventures out to another world to learn about this mysterious "dark matter". This was my favorite part of the plot because we talk about this subject in science sometimes. Just like in the book, "dark matter" is hypothesized to be this undetectable mass. In our science world, there are theories that "dark matter", or "dust" (as called in the book), makes up the majority of the mass in the universe. I think this is the main reason why enjoyed this book so much. Even though it evolved a lot of fantasy, I also could relate to it in some way. This book has definitely changed my opinion on fantasy books and I am looking forward to reading more novels from this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment