Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Road

I have just started "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and im totally loving it. I must say, its a rather depressing book, but everything about it draws me in. McCarthy's writing style is especially interesting to me: her constant use of short/simple sentences, not using quotation marks during dialogs, never referring to the characters by their actual names.... She doesn't over complicate the plot by trying to make her writing sound "fancy". To me, it sounds very real and she captured a good tone/voice for the book.

For about half the book, the story is told of a father and young son who, after surviving a fatal, world-wide disaster, travel for years to find survivors like themselves. Although they face a constant cycle of traveling, hiding from the "bad guys" (they young boy refers the cannibals who have resorted to eating humans as this), and searching for food, the book never seems to get repetitive. Their struggle is described night by night in the book, and it somehow seems interesting every time I read their experience, even if it is very similar to what was described a few pages before that. The author has a great way of revealing all the details to give a vivid, and emotionally stimulating picture in my mind. Yet, she also doesn't give away all the details, leaving room for suspense and predictions of my own. I still have so many questions: What exactly was this epic disaster that left them to be two of the few people actually remaining? Will they ever reach a place where survivors like them can live? I'm totally loving the book! I am enjoying and am interested by McCarthy's writing style in this novel (it's hard to describe, so I really suggest this book so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about). Can't wait to keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment